My RYM account is ~dreamfortress. I’m proud to have over nine hundred favorites on my overall contributions there. I’m grateful that I made the connection with their social media manager ~MarilynRoxie too. Through their promo for both my RYM contributions and my own music, it’s probably the thing that kept my projects from fading into total obscurity by 2018.
I have a good 85% of the music I know over there with too many ratings. Looking for recs? You could always filter my ‘collection’ by a genre or artist to see what I recommend.
Besides using it to catalog what I hear, lists and front page reviews are my main focus on RYM. Here’s the link to my many lists, which cover several topics like I do here. These include:
- My Ultimate Box Set entries for 80’s library music and ‘new new age’; genre guides with significant songs and links.
- The original list version of my ‘dark/sad new age’ mix Castles In The Sky, which features selections from over a hundred releases! My most popular list.
- Parallels between 80s-90s library music and vaporwave
- My favorite cover artwork
- Underrated and/or obscure favorites: 1 and 2
- Great 2000’s dance-pop / R&B songs
- Over 15 great 2000’s ‘chill out’ songs
- Favorite vocalists
- Songs with steel drum
- Peppermint Pig: sounds of the haunted barn
- Ten reasons easy listening doesn’t mean ‘soulless’
- Similar to The Knife / Fever Ray
- Kitschy MIDI and digital synth music
- All time favorite songs, always a WIP
Genres I’m trying to ‘get into’ – recs very much appreciated
My front page reviews
My closest thing to ‘getting published’. If you’re working on a passion-review for something you love and don’t have a publication for it, RYM is a nice alternative that’s sure to get a small-to-medium handful of users to listen. Know that you shouldn’t expect too much from the response though. In my experience, not one akbyn escaped this site’s terrible problem with downvoting after I reviewed them. (That is, users flocking in with indifferent or low scores once an album gets some attention.)
I don’t love all of these reviews, but I recommend every album in question. Plus, writing and editing these helped give me important practice. Rajie, Luxury Elite, Reni Jusis, La Feline and Toro Y Moi had the likely best results writing-wise.
Patrick O’Hearn – Indigo, 1991
Atmosphere Music Library – Atmospherics, 1991
Luxury Elite – With Love, 2013
Maria Usbeck – Envejeciendo, 2019
Glass Candy – B/E/A/T/B/O/X, 2007
Lene Lovich – Shadows And Dust, 2005 (a ‘Halloween special’)
Toro Y Moi – Causers Of This, 2010