My RYM account (which I frequent a little too often) is ~dreamfortress. I’m proud to have over 680 favorites on my overall contributions there. I’m grateful that I made the connection with their social media manager ~MarilynRoxie too. Through their promo for both my RYM contributions and my own music, it’s probably the thing that kept my projects from fading into total obscurity by 2018.
I have a good 85% of the music I know over there with too many ratings. Looking for recs? You could always filter my ‘collection’ by a genre or artist to see what I recommend.
Besides using it to catalog what I hear, lists and front page reviews are my main focus on RYM. Here’s the link to my many lists, which cover several topics just like I do here. These include:
- My Ultimate Box Set entries for 80’s library music and ‘new new age’
- The original list version of my ‘dark/sad new age’ mix Castles In The Sky, which features selections from over a hundred releases!
- Parallels between 80s-90s library and vaporwave
- My favorite cover artwork
- Underrated and/or obscure favorites: 1 and 2
- Great 2000’s dance-pop / R&B songs
- Over twenty great 2000’s ‘chill out’ songs
- Favorite vocalists
- Songs with steel drum
- Peppermint Pig: sounds of the haunted barn
- Ten reasons easy listening doesn’t mean ‘soulless’
- Similar to The Knife / Fever Ray
- All time favorite songs, always a WIP
My front page reviews
My closest thing to ‘getting published’. If you’re working on a passion-review for something you love and don’t have a publication for it, RYM is a nice alternative that’s sure to get a small-to-medium handful of users to listen. Know that you shouldn’t expect too much from the response though. In my experience, not one of these albums escaped this site’s terrible problem with downvoting after I reviewed them. (That is, users flocking in with indifferent or low scores once an album gets some attention.)
I don’t love all of these reviews, but I definitely recommend every album in question. Plus, writing and editing these helped give me good practice. Rajie, Luxury Elite, Reni Jusis, La Feline and Toro Y Moi had the likely best results writing-wise.
Lene Lovich – Shadows And Dust, 2005 (a ‘Halloween special’)